Tips to Help Improve Breast Health
- Consider your toxic chemical load from your environment. Limit the use of plastic and what chemicals are in the products you use to clean your home and what you apply to your skin. Reduce exposure to xenoestrogens. A large number of synthetic chemical compounds that we all encounter have estrogen-like activity. Among them: common pesticides, industrial pollutants and hormone residues in meat, poultry and dairy products.
- Do not keep your cell phone in your bra! Several studies show the damage it causes. Plus, what is it doing to your heart and thyroid being so close to them. Avoid carrying it on your body when possible.
- Consider turning off wifi on phone, e-reader, or tablet when reading a book or playing games. Think about where it’s resting while you are in bed.
Limit bra wearing. Switch to underwire free if possible. Decrease time wearing any bra. The softer less constricting the better. Or none at all!
- Skin brushing to move lymph. Up towards heart and star pattern from nipple out over breasts.
- Good nutrition-avoid sugar and limit consumption of high calorie low nutritional foods.
- Eat more of a variety of vegetables and fruits, especially cruciferous. They help reduce damaging estrogen and boost beneficial estrogen. They contain cancer fighting nutrients, 8-10 servings a day. Broccoli sprouts are a great addition to sandwiches, salads or just a snack
- Spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, Swiss chard, and other dark green vegetables. They also boast plenty of carotenes, along with fiber and foliate. Two large studies suggest a relationship between increased folate (not folic acid that’s a synthetic form) intake and decreased breast cancer risk.
- Garlic, onions, scallions, leeks, and other vegetables from the allium family. Studies in animals show that allium vegetable components can slow the progression of several cancers, including breast cancer.
- Beans — lentils, peas, kidney beans, navy beans, and so on. Beans are rich in fiber, and also in an antioxidant that appears to slow tumor growth.
- Adequate fiber daily will be beneficial, at least 28 grams/day. Lots of benefits, but it helps flush bile that grabs excess estrogen.
- Limit consumption of highly processed meats. Grass fed hormone free when possible. Cooking to well done is more carcinogenic than medium.
- Choose fats wisely. Extra virgin and cold pressed quality olive oil, organic saturated animal fat, increase omega-3 fats, found in cold-water fish (especially wild salmon and sardines), freshly ground flaxseed and walnuts have also been associated with inhibiting the growth of breast tumors.
Drink green tea. Regular consumption of green tea has been linked to a lower incidence of many kinds of cancer.
- If consumed at all, limit alcohol consumption to one drink per day or less.
- Switch to sea salt. Limit eating salty foods and avoid foods processed with iodized salt.
- Be as lean as possible without becoming underweight. (Fat stores estrogen.)
- Add quality essential oils to your routine like Frankincense, Lavender, Clary Sage, and Sandalwood (I trust Young Living brand and can be a source for you if you need one).
- Balance hormones and avoid long term birth control pills especially under age 18 and avoid synthetic hormone replacement therapy.
- Breastfeeding your children decreases the risk of breast cancer. The longer the better.
- Stop smoking.
- Reduce your stress and support your emotions any way you can. Yoga, exercise, meditate, laugh with friends, deep breathing, relaxing baths with Epsom salt, use essential oils, etc.
- Get good sleep– melatonin may have antioxidant properties that help prevent damage to cells. In addition, melatonin lowers estrogen production from the ovaries. Poor sleep alters hormones that influence cancer cells as well as the body not being able to do its repair work during sleep.
- Exercise-be physically active for 20 minutes every day. 1.3 hours/week (Moves lymph, helps with estrogen, insulin handling and stress reduction.)
- Give your liver some attention. It has to help with hormones and detoxifying. If it is congested, it taxes the body.