Breast Thermography uses state of the art technology which scans the breasts using an infrared camera to produce a “thermogram”. This scan detects heat and not a lump. Breast tumours tend to have abnormal blood vessel patterns and increased metabolic activity that give off more heat than the surrounding tissue. These heat changes can occur between 6 and 10 years before a tumour is big enough to see on a mammogram. Therefore detecting this heat can enable earlier intervention and reduction of risk.
The thermograms obtained provide an indirect measurement of the metabolic activity of breast tissue. In other words, abnormal tissue is identified on a thermogram as focal ‘hot spots,’ disturbed cooling response and abnormal blood vessel patterns.
What are the Benefits of Breast Screening with Thermography?
- Radiation-free, non-invasive and painless.
- Thermography is very safe. It is even safe for pregnant and nursing women.
- Very early detection of function risk (up to 10 years earlier than mammography).
- It is unique in its capacity to visually record physiological changes and metabolic processes.
- Cancers are associated with increased temperature and abnormal blood vessel patterns, both detected on Thermography Breast Scans (we call them thermograms). Furthermore, a single cold challenge can help to identify abnormal tissue response.
- Ideal assessment tool for women with implants.
- 90% sensitivity. This means that where there is an increased risk, thermography will correctly identify this in 90% of cases (one third of mammograms give false readings).
- It detects cell changes in armpit area. The armpit area is an area that mammography is not always good at detecting.
- It is useful for young women for whom mammography is inappropriate due to 1) greater density of breast tissue and 2) greater sensitivity of their breast tissue to adverse effects of ionising radiation.
Where can I have a Thermography Scan?
- Thermography Clinic Ireland are based in Portmarnock, Co Dublin, lreland.
How long will my appointment take?
- Your Breast Thermography appointment is 30 – 45 mins, should you have the combined imaging of the Breast and Cranial Thermography allow 1 hour for your appointment.
At what age should I start to have Thermography?
- Given the incidence of breast cancer nowadays in younger women, we recommend a thermography screen for women of all ages from 20 onwards.
How often should I have a Breast Thermography scan?
- We recommend a regular annual (private) Breast Thermogram much like a regular dental check-up. Patients with abnormal scans or with breast cancer history will be recommended more regular checkups.
For more information please check out our <a href="https://thermographyireland.ie/our-healthy-breast-programme/">Healthy Breast Programme</a>
Cannot recommend Thermography Clinic Ireland highly enough
I would like to take this opportunity to express how grateful I am for Thermography. Without this procedure, I would not have been diagnosed in the early stages of invasive ductal carcinomaThermography is a very painless and valuable procedure in which I would recommend for early detection. My thermography appointment was scheduled for the beginning of May 2014, following this process I was diagnosed with breast cancerI am grateful for Gretta’s knowledge and compassion and cannot recommend Thermography Clinic Ireland highly enough
- Jacinta Mc
I would like to thank you so much for the wonderful experience I had this past Tuesday at your clinic for a Thermography screening. Your professionalism and easy-going manner made me feel comfortable and at ease, right from the minute I walked through your doorsI have never had a mammogram but have heard from MANY of my friends that have had them done, what a horrible experience it was for them. I will definitely be recommending they come and see you!!
- J Curtis
Gretta Cullen is so great to work
l highly recommend Thermography Clinic lreland. l found Gretta Cullen is so great to work with and made me feel comfortable when l come in for my appointment. I am grateful for this clinic as they are monitoring my breast health and happily I can say that I have been healthy with no issuesIts great to know that they this clinic concentrates on bringing awareness to the community of the importance of regular breast exams and provides thermography a non-invasive, radiation free for of breast assessmentI am so glad I heard about this test and want to pass this option on to others
I attended Thermography Clinic Ireland recently. My history is, my sibling passed away a year ago from an aggressive form of Breast Cancer. I am aware that I have to be checked regularly because of this. I've attended hospital for a few mammograms, one of which came back with a queryI'm happy to say that my results from Thermography showed me that I'm at a normal range at the moment. This procedure was non-invasive and I felt very comfortable with it. Results were back as quick as a mammogram would be, and there was no radiation involved. l will definitely include Thermography in my yearly assessment of my breast health